Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Philly is Ramblin' again...


I love gardening, especially flower gardening. I know it is not practical at all, unless you plan to live on a diet of nasturciums and pansies. But flowere make me so happy and I love to pick them out. Gentle empathetic pansies, sweet sprawling forget-me-nots, and even plain but colorful petunias make it into my garden. They are all different and all beautiful to me. They all serve the purpose of making my world more lovely and happy. I don't care much for the well manicured-tidy-everything- in-it's-place-garden. I much prefer a cottage type garden with flowers carelessly strewn about to create a more natural look.

So what is the point? Well, I kinda figure we are all like that. We are all just a flower in G-d's many gardens. Corny I know, but I think in pictures and colors so these things work for me and help me to understand. Some of us like being in the well manicured Longwood Garden of life. I like being among the wild flowers or the cottage garden. I sometimes even feel like a lone bloom out in the desert growing from some long forgotten dirt in a rock. It's isn't that I don't appreciate the orderly gardens. I think they are amazing and sometimes think of joining them, but my roots get choked very quickly by their limitations. Mind you, thier limitations, not the Master Gardener's. No, not His. Although He does have a very clear gardening method, He does allow me and seems to even encourage my free spirited growth. It is after all how He planted me.

Some may say this is not normal. 'Stay in your row!', they cry. I saw rows are for vegetables, not for flowers.

What is normal after all? I read somewhere that it was just a setting on the dryer.

Especially when it comes to this mandate I have heard about concerning 'fitting in' with your local community. I suppose if your community is a Heirloom Rose Garden, being a wild rose could have it's drawbacks. Maybe you would even be considered an eyesore. I suppose...

But then again, you never know. The Master Gardener would never place a flower just anywhere. No, everything is growing in that place for a reason. Nothing is growing by accident. Maybe, just maybe, that tiny wild rose among the Heirlooms brings the Master Gardener so much joy for growing and being nothing more than a wild rose. Maybe the Master Gardener placed it there so it would get good soil and grow stronger. Perhaps very soon, the Master Gardener will take His shovel and gently transplant this wild rose among other wild roses. Yes, perhaps the Master Gardener is just waiting for the wild rose to mature a bit more and will soon (PLEASE G-d), very soon transplant it to a more suited garden on a mountaintop. Meanwhile while the wild rose is waiting she should always remember to Bloom Where You Are Planted.

1 comment:

Kristee said...

What a beautiful post, thank you! I wish I could garden... Maybe the kids and I could learn together, our botany class...

blessings,
Kristee