Monday, October 30, 2006

Simply knitting

So as I have been saying, I am more than a little overwhelmed in my life right now. When I was sure I was about to hit my breaking point any minute, I saw a piece of my sanity lying in a basket near my couch. I think that is just the reason my house is cluttered the way it is with yarn, needles, a quilt rack, weaving and books. Just in case I have a second to actually pause, my sanity will be there waiting for me, somewhere amidst the fiber and literary clutter. I actually paused and started looking at my yarn. There were two very sweet skeins that were birthday gifts this year, that I was very fond of. The color and texture were inviting to relax and create. I chose to work with them and then starting fussing through my books to find just the right pattern. As I only had two skeins, there wasn't a whole lot I could do, but I was sure I could make something nice. I started flipping through the two books that I have that are particularly devoted to one skein and oddball knitting. After looking at some of the lovely and some of the quite impractical patterns in them, I finally decided that what I really wanted to do was just knit. Simple as that, I just wanted to knit. Oh, maybe throw in a purl now and then, but nothing fancy. I only wanted to feel the needles and yarn in my hands and find my groove. And that is just what I did. So here you have it folks. Nothing lovely, nothing fancy, nothing to write home about, just a simple scarf of variegated wool blend yarn that stripes all on it's own. I don't have to think about it. The yarn expects nothing of me, it makes no demands, and yet grants me moments of bliss. Just allowing me to find my rhythm and create something that will be quite useful to me as the fall drifts into winter.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Gedaliya's mother. B"H he is much better. We took him to a burn expert in Bnei Brak with the brochos of three big tzaddikim and he is now doing fine. The third degree burns are gone for the most part and 50% of his burns are heeled. He's walking around and playing and almost looks like his old self! Thank you for the tefilos they were the key to his recovery!