Sunday, October 01, 2006

Kapparot

I suppose there will be many, many firsts in my journey through and in Judaism. I know as each year goes by my realization of the significance of everything becomes deeper and with more understanding. I have wondered at times why we do the things we do and then after doing them the light bulb goes off. Kapparot has been one of these occasions. My husband and I walked to our synagogue today under the darkness of a predawn sky. There I stood with him, waiting in the rain to get my hen. As their clucks rose sporadically, I felt such a tenderness and sadness for these precious birds. When I received her, I caressed my dear hen who was not in any way an atonement for my sins but a clear reminder of what could happen to me, of what I could be deserving of. The rain falling on us seemed all too appropriate as I said my prayer, "This is my exchange...I shall proceed to a good, long life and peace." As I walked away the sobs came. It was all so very clear to me now, how merciful Our Creator is. He reminds me of who I am, good and bad. He calls me to Himself and loves me so deeply. On this Erev Yom Kippur I pray I come to deep and real teshuvah. I pray that the Holy One of Israel finds me and all of His beloved children favorable. That He gives us all a decree of goodness, long life and shalom, with the coming of His Moshiach and the rebuilding of the Beit HaMikdash (Holy Temple) speedily in our day. Amen v'amen
Wishing all a Gmar Chatima Tovah!

No comments: