Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Art of Keeping Warm

Fall has arrived with all it's riotous fiery colors, but unfortunately for me no actual heat emmanates from them. I am always cold and this can be a bit problematic for me as I do not wear pants. So I am constantly on the lookout for ideas to keep me warm. Here are a few tips I have come up with:

Always layer. If you wear full skirts or dresses it makes it easier. I wear a petticoat, tights and sometimes leggings or yoga stlyle pants under my skirts.

Make sure to use natural fibers, I have found them to retain heat better. Flannel and wool are the best, cotton works well too. I have never used silk but I am told silk long underwear is wonderful!

Invest in long underwear or make some flannel pantalettes.

Use wool socks...My beloved bought me a pair last year and I cannot tell you how much I love them!

Use sweaters or shawls. Sweaters are more practical but shawls...well, I just love them, they feel so cozy and snuggly. My favorites are my big black Amish shawl and the one I purchased at a Civil war re-enactment.

For those who cover their heads, I use cotton berets or heavier scarves to retain the heat. And I always cover my ears...I feel warmer.

Here are a few links to help you get started with some items of use: long underwear, wool slip, and wool blend stockings.

If you have any other tips please let me know! I am always of the look out to stay warm!

:::missing my wood stove right about now:::

1 comment:

Patty said...

Here in Texas we have had some very cold days. Wind chills in the minus. One thing I have done for years to help stay warm is to wear heavy flannel slips under my skirts. And you are right, layering is the only way to chase away the cold.
Speaking of cold, its time to put another log or two in the woodstove